Thursday, March 17, 2011

Song: The Allegory of the Cave

My dear friends Candace and Andrew, fellow philosophers, challenged me to write a song about The Allegory of the Cave by Plato.  Here's my song with lyrics posted below:




And for an incredible animation of Plato's story, I HIGHLY recommend you watch this:






This thing standing in front of me
Is a shadow of what I used to see
It lied to me
I see my neighbor sitting next to me
He doesn’t see the things the way I see
He’s in a trance, the shadows dance
If I turn around
I won’t make a sound
I see the puppets all dancing 
And the shadows they’re casting
I’ll try to get away
And see the light of day
It’s probably good for my health
To see the thing in-itself

I nervously unshackle my hands
I shake the dust off of my pants
I wobble when I stand
I see a light beaming up ahead
It blinds my eyes and it hurts my head
I face it uncertainly

The tunnel opens and I move on
I cannot see but I walk on
My eyes are burning with the truth
My skin is sunburned with Deleuze
When I exit from the cave
The shadows all go away
It’s just wisdom and myself
I see the thing-in-itself

I step back in and the darkness
Puts everything out of focus
Again I can’t see
When it all comes back to me
I see the slaves just staring
And believing, and deceiving
Do I leave the cave?
Or help my fellow slaves?
Will they believe what I say
Or ad hominum my face?
Will they ever see the light?
I’ll use logic to show I’m right
I’ll try to lead them to what I felt
Truth and the thing in itself

No comments:

Post a Comment