Thursday, March 3, 2011

Intro to "The Cleanse", Day 1 of 16. (by Anita)

Alright, so this is my first post on The Mighty Blog. I've always intend to contribute to this blog, but I'm not much of a writer. And frankly, I'm pretty insecure about my writing ability. Mike is certainly the more accomplished writer.

However, I really feel as though I have a topic worth wring about. I am embarking on a physical journey with my colon. I have decided to try to attempt the crazy Master Cleanse. I truly believe that these 16 days need to documented. So, amongst Mike's brilliant philosophical musings I plan to document all my thoughts, recipes, and feelings for all 16 days of the cleanse.

First I should maybe talk about why I want to do this. There are two reasons why I'm doing this crazy bodily experiment. The main reason is for my health. I've been having a lot of stomach issues for the past 2 years and I feel as though a cleanse will bring me back to "zero". I really feel as though I need a good "spring cleaning", and this is the least invasive way. Why else would someone go through all of this?

On the other hand past of my is doing this because I really like challenges. I like to attempt things that I don't think I will succeed in. Mainly because when I finish these things I always feel better for trying, even if I fail.

For example, Mike and I hiked Mt. Whitney, and I stupidly hiked the whole mountain without any training, nor any backpacking experience. I really didn't think that I could do it. I really thought I would give up and fail in the middle and get stuck on the mountain. But, as I struggled, in the back of my mind I thought about the t-shirt I had bought for the trip. Mike's Mom wanted us all to take a picture at the top with t-shirts the read "I climbed to the top of Mount Whitney". As I hiked, that t-shirt lay in my pack screaming, "you can't go home without fulfilling your destiny that is named on this shirt!". Some how I managed to get myself up to the top and back down again and I felt amazing!

This is an example of attempting something I never thought possible. Life is too short to not have crazy experiences. So, back to the cleanse, why am I doing it? Well, mostly for health. But a huge part of it is a test of will power, how far can I push myself? I guess we'll have to find out...

The cleanse works like this:
3 days of pre-cleanse
10 days of cleanse
3 days of post-cleanse

I pledge while I am doing this that I will listen to my body the whole time, and if I feel that I need to stop this I will. Luckily I will be off of work for 5 out of the 16 days, so that if I feel bad I will know right away.

Wish me luck!

Day 1 of 16: Pre - Cleanse, Only Raw Foods:

Mood: I feel positive!

Physical: I feel amazing!

- What I ate today -
Breakfast:
Raw Food Bar (dry and tasted awful)
Starbuck's Tall Chai

Lunch:
Huge salad with homemade asian dressing
A whole avocado with salt and pepper
Freeze dried berries (amazing!)

Snack:
Pear
Smoothie - Carrots, 1 Apple, 1 Pear, 1 Banana, Soy Protein Power, 2T of Almond Butter (really good!)

Dinner:
Red Quinoa 
Masor Dal (orange lentils), with Garlic, Ginger, Lemon Grass, Red Bell peper,  Onions
Sesame Ginger Kale with flax seeds.

Today was easy, because I actually ate really amazing tasting food. I notice right now that I don't feel bloated, or stuffed. I also notice that I didn't over eat today, even thought I had two servings of kale at dinner. And I juiced a whole apple and pear. I feel full but not bloated. I don't think I'm lacking anything. I will continue to take my normal vitamins while I am on this diet: flax seed oil, a multi-vitamin, vitamin d, and acidophilus. Today I feel great!

I'm a little worried about tomorrow. I'll be starting just the liquid diet, but I look forward to the challenge.

- Anita

2 comments:

  1. Wow good luck!! I too have tummy issues and figured out that the biggest culprits for me are dairy and wheat/gluten. Hope all goes well and you're satisfied with your experience. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Anita! It reminds me to take a look at what I am eating. I've been feeling sluggish and would like to put the pep back into my step. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete