Thursday, December 2, 2010

Introduction to Mike's Blog

This is the first of a series of blogs created by Mike and Anita, an engaged couple and founders of the alt-folk band, The Mighty Have Fallen.  This is not a music blog, but rather a space for them to explore concepts and ideas, ranging from philosophical questions and issues to remarks on culture and politics.  We hope that the content will create dialogue, criticism, and contemplation.  We also hope to turn our readers onto cool new bands and artists.

Mike: So, why start a blog?  As an introduction, I studied philosophy for years, hoping to become a professor in a university.  In the ultra-competitive field of philosophy, I've yet to find my niche, and this last year I was rejected from every PhD program I applied to and I haven't yet found work teaching.  Not knowing what to do, I decided, with my fiance Anita, to move up to the Pacific Northwest, where I'd at least be in a politically progressive and culturally exciting area surrounded with trees and large mountains.  I'm enjoying the rainy and cold northwest as it's perfect for hot-coffee-cup contemplation and pondering.  I'm living next door to probably the greatest book store in the world, Powell's Books - literally a city full of the creative outbursts of artists and intellectuals.  In my short time up here I've sat down to debate theories of epistemology with a group of philosophers, I've attended a book-signing by punk rocker and UCLA lecturer in evolutionary biology Greg Gaffin (Bad Religion), and I've participated in the most talented open-mic I've yet been to.  I want to participate in the cultural outpouring that is Portland, Oregon.

And so I am starting my blog. 

I could see myself writing books, fiction or otherwise, but any project I start seems to get shelved after a short while.  Looking back, my forte is in the journal, the short essay, the blog.  So I'm starting this blog to inspire a flow of ideas and studies.  I hope that people will subscribe and interact with my posts.

Subjects I see myself writing about in the near future are Greg Gaffin's book 'Anarchy Evolution', Movies and Music, and I might start publishing in pieces a short story I wrote years ago.  I'm currently gathering my thoughts together to write an article on Latin American Philosophy, History, and Politics.

Please subscribe and I hope to get some substantive essays coming your way in the near future.

Thanks,
Mike Pankrast
mikepankrast@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment