Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Recording: The Angry Customer

A while back I posted this song as a live youtube video.  Here is the recorded version!

It's inspired by my experience as a customer service phone representative and the many angry, unreasonable callers I've talked to.  Given that some customer with the same or worse problems can be so generous, understanding, forgiving, and kind indicates that it's not the situation that determines the outcome, but the personalities involved.  When I am abused on the phone, I respond immediately by feeling angry and victimized, but when I come to my senses, my response is Buddhist in nature: to have compassion for the angry caller.  They are ultimately the ones who suffer the most.  They must live with their anger, resentment, and frustrations.  They have not identified the source of their suffering as an attachment to an outcome that was never realized.  They have not developed the ability to let that attachment, and with it their frustration, go.  It's hard to be on the other end of that anger, but as a customer service rep, all I can do is provide a space for them to vent, and act within the limited powers afforded me to try and make it better.

Enjoy my song, "The Angry Customer":

The Angry Customer by tmhfband

No comments:

Post a Comment