Friday, April 22, 2011

Outstanding Portland Music!!! The Parson Redheads, Kelli Schaefer, and Pine Language

Last night I went with friends to a show at The Alberta Rose Theater in Portland.  The venue is not ideal for acoustics, but great for atmosphere.  In front of a giant red curtain, and facing an intimate crowd of eager fans, three fantastic Portland bands played.

The first band was Pine Language.  They started out somber, with just lead singer/guitarist Brian Harvey playing a tortured tune with hair in his face.  Then the band joined him for a thick electric sound (3 electric guitars!), bass, keyboard, vocals, and drums.  At times the band reminded me a lot of Wilco, at times My Morning Jacket, at times neither.  They certainly have a unique sound,  weaving in and out of cool synth parts and guitar leads that, on very nice occasions, bleed through the wall of noise.  These guys have really well thought-out songs.  Overall, they can be characterized as orchestral and restrained.  They left me wanting more guitar solos, but only because the times that a solo seeped through the mix, it offered amazing relief to the songs.  This was their power - they held back, always keeping you on the edge of your seat.  This particularly struck me when the lead guitar player switched to a lap-steel, playing slide.  When he played distinct notes, it sounded SO GOOD, but he mostly just played chords, sliding gently against the heavy strumming of the two other electric guitars.  I wanted more, but if they gave me what I wanted, it probably would have been to their detriment.  I think what made it sound SO GOOD was it's rarity.  By keeping you wanting, they kept the music interesting and totally indie.  They were expressing something personal and didn't pander to the prototypical song.  I appreciated this, (although I still wanted more lead work!).  It's hard to find Pine Language tracks online, but that shouldn't be the case when they release their upcoming LP.  You can download a couple free tracks here.

The second band was Kelli Schaefer, and she was OUTSTANDING!  Her music is impassioned, interesting, intense, and highly energetic with band members at times bursting into uncontrollable yells as they convulsed around their instruments.  Kelli belted Bjork-inspired cries as she appeared to be on the verge of an emotional breakdown, hammering her white guitar and shaking at the knees.  If you want to do yourself a favor, buy her album here!  I did, right when I got home!  Bands I can liken her to are Florence and the Machine with a bit more grit and Sleater Kinney with a bit less punk and a bit more blues.  In the middle of their set, the band put down their instruments and joined Kelli in a three-part harmony that was flawless, dripping from the stage, blowing the mind of every person in the audience.  Then her soprano-screaming bass player grabbed a flute and started jamming, and that should give you an indication of the eclectic nature of the band.  They were amazing to watch, and I suggest you keep an eye on their tour dates so you won't miss a golden opportunity.

And then the band I came to see: The Parson Redheads.  A coworker/friend's brother-in-law was once a founding member of this band when they were emerging from within the Los Angeles folk-rock scene.  He invited me to an earlier show they played in Portland, where they've since founded themselves, and I became an immediate fan.  They represent well-crafted, catchy folk/rock songs with great guitar licks and lush vocal harmonies.  Their laid-back, big-beard-style anthems bring out the 60s hippie in you that you never were.  They've been playing a long time together and they have their craft DOWN!  You can feel the love in the room as they sing charming songs that celebrate life and relationships.

 Here's a great video:

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your blog. well said. I do wish that small venues like that would get the sound system and acoustics corrected though. The mix was so mottled at times it was hard to pull out some of the more subtle parts that added so much to each composition. You could tell the intention of the pieces easily as you dissected each part. I just wish the PA was lower and the room had more traps and diffusion. Other than that I loved it. Kevin

    ReplyDelete